Monday, October 6, 2008

What The Heck!?!








We've been invaded! We found this huge yellow jacket wasp nest in our BASEMENT! It was in a dark, back corner, where we don't go very often (obviously). Derrek went downstairs to find his shotgun shells. When he turned the light on about fifty wasps swarmed around his head and the light. Kevin had to spray the nest two consecutive nights to kill all of them. The nest was 19" across, 11" high, and 14" deep. I'm guessing there was close to a thousand wasps in it--or more. Luckily only about 25 made it upstairs. The pipe that the nest was built around goes outside. We assume the wasps got inside through a tiny hole next to the pipe. Guess it's time to caulk!
(sorry 2 pictures are the same, I don't know how to delete one!)

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

Wow! Derek is lucky he isn't allergic to wasps!! Was he stung?
That is weird!

rosie said...

Kevin, me, Derrek and Jason were all down stairs when plenty of them were flying around but luckily no one got stung. We ducked alot! The ones that came upstairs must have been sprayed because they were kinda out of it and easy to swat.

tyson and ashley said...

That is so crazy! I have never seen a nest that big! Yuck! I'm glad nobody got stung!

Ryan and Alisha said...

I have goosebumps....AHHHH!!! Aren't they so annoying? I never knew they could be inside like that. We had several different nests this summer, but outside!

Cassie said...

I would have freaked! I hate wasps worse than anything else! You would have seen me running down the street!

Cassie said...

Hey I need your e-mail again, I lost the paper I wrote it on! I went private so I need to add you so You can still view it!
Sorry I lost it! OOps!

Mark & Linda said...

Hi Rosie!
Kevin should have captured them alive and taken them to Cassie's house-she loves wasps!
Hope your family is all well-tell the boys and their families hello for us, we do not get to see them often.
Love ya, Mark and Linda